[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Copy Certificates

Nottinghamshire County Council holds records of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships which have taken place in Nottinghamshire since 1837 (this does not include Nottingham City). Prior to this records may be found in the local archives or at local churches. 

For events which took place within Nottingham City boundary visit  www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk to find out how to apply.

If the event took place outside Nottinghamshire we may still be able to help you so please contact us at certificates@nottscc.gov.uk. Otherwise, you will need to enquire with the Register Office nearest to where the event took place.   

Please note: we cannot provide you with a birth certificate if you have been legally adopted. Adoption records are held centrally for England and Wales by The Registrar General. For more information, visit www.gov.uk

Beware of purchasing expensive certificates online

A number of non-registration websites offer customers the chance to buy certificates online and these can cost up to £70. Obtaining a certificate directly from the relevant register office is a straightforward process and is usually very quick.

How to apply for a copy certificate

Please Note: Records of recently registered events may still be in the custody of the local Registrar, so please check before applying in writing as this will affect the cost.

By telephone: call our Customer Service Centre.

By email: send relevant details to certificates@nottscc.gov.uk, including your daytime telephone number, using the appropriate downloadable application form below. Payment will need to be made by debit/credit card via telephone.

By post: write to Basford Registration Office, Highbury Road, Bulwell, Nottingham NG6 9DA, enclosing a cheque/postal order for £10 (in pounds sterling), made payable to “Superintendent Registrar”, and a stamped self-addressed envelope. Alternatively, add the relevant amount to cover postage:

  • UK - £1
  • Europe - £1.50
  • Worldwide - £2 

If applying for more than one certificate it is advisable to send a separate cheque/postal order for each one, in case it is not possible to issue all the certificates requested (only one lot of postage is required for multiple applications).

Please include a daytime telephone number so that we can discuss any findings with you.

In person: at a main Registration Office

Basford Registration Office 

Mansfield Registration Office  

Newark Registration Office  

Nottinghamshire Register Office (Worksop) 

Carlton Registration Office  

West Bridgford Registration Office  

Information required

Please provide the following information:

All certificates

  • full names and surname of the person whose certificate is required (at the time of the event)
  • date and place of the event.

Birth Certificates

  • parents’ full names, including mother’s maiden name.  

Death Certificates

  • where possible, deceased’s occupation, age, address or name of spouse.  

Civil Partnership Certificates

  • full address of the parties at the time of the event. 

Commemorative certificates

Our commemorative certificates are a lasting reminder of a treasured occasion and are suitable for any occasion you choose to celebrate:

  • birth

  • special birthday

  • special anniversary

  • wedding day

  • civil partnership

  • renewal of vows

  • naming ceremony

  • citizenship

  • or any other special occasion you would like to commemorate.

The certificates are available to anyone, regardless of where the event took place (including abroad), and would make an ideal gift or personal memento.

With a choice of two exclusive designs, gold-embossed and presented in their own gold coloured envelope (or in a frame), we can produce a lovely memento of any event.

Commemorative certificates can be purchased from any of the five register offices: unframed £10.00, framed £15.00. However, if you are celebrating a naming or renewal of vows ceremony with us anyway, you will receive one of these certificates with our compliments. For further information please contact your local register office.

Please note: these certificates have no legal status and cannot be used for any official purpose or as evidence of identity.

Divorce Documents

If you require copies of your divorce papers (decree absolute) you will need to contact the court where the divorce was passed. The County Council does not hold this information.

Service levels

Express/Same Day -  £20.00 

For applications in person at a main office (see above) or by telephone and received before 3pm the certificate can be collected or posted First Class same day (where possible).

Standard - £10.00 

For applications in person, by telephone or in writing - certificates will be posted within 4 working days (or can be collected by arrangement). 

Family History

If you have found a record online (eg. General Register Office, Ancestry, Freebmd etc), it is important that you tell us the year, quarter and registration district quoted in that database.

For marriages, it would also be helpful to know any of the following:

  • where either of the couple lived prior to the marriage
  • occupation of bride/groom/fathers. 
By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close