You can download and print a free school meals fact sheet [PDF] with information about eligibility and how to apply.
Who can apply?
You may qualify for free school meals if your child attends a Nottinghamshire County Council School or your child attends a maintained nursery (as long as they are receiving funded early learning education before and after lunch) and you receive one of the following benefits.
- child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
- income support
- income based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA)
- income related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- income based and contributions based JSA and ESA on an equal basis
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- guarantee element of state pension credit
- working tax credit run-on - paid for four weeks after the person stops qualifying for working tax credit
- universal credit - during the initial roll-out of the benefit
Free school milk
The eligibility criteria for free milk entitlement is exactly the same as for free school meals. There is no statutory requirement for milk to be provided in schools. Where LAs or schools choose to provide milk, it must be free to children whose parents are in receipt of the same support payments as for free school meals.
More information about milk in school.
Who to apply to
Who you need to apply to for free school meals depends on which school your child goes to.
If your child attends a
Universal infant free school meals
All pupils in reception, year 1 and year 2 in state-funded schools are now entitled to free school meals .
It is important that all parents who receive one of the benefits listed above register for free school meals as this will enable your child's school to claim "pupil premium allocation". The pupil premium is additional funding given to publicly funded schools in England to raise attainment. This additional funding for schools can help to buy new equipment and resources.