[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Music and singing

Musical instruments

If your child is having music lessons in school through the Council's Instrumental and Music Teaching scheme, you can buy or loan a musical instrument from the Council for them to use.

Help for schools

The Council's Instrumental and Music Teaching scheme offers a range of services to schools in Nottinghamshire, from music lessons to performance opportunities.

Photo of young children in a music lesson.

Children in Nottinghamshire can access instrument and singing lessons through their primary and secondary schools, as part of the Council’s Instrumental and Music Teaching scheme.

Lessons take place in schools, during the school day. Instruments on offer range from the piano and harp to drums and guitars, plus singing lessons. The range of lessons will depend on what your local school has chosen to offer – contact them for details. Lessons can be for individuals, or shared amongst a group of pupils.


All the teachers are highly qualified musicians, and have had Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks. Their skills are kept up-to-date with regular training, and many of them perform locally, nationally, and internationally.

Lessons are observed yearly and marked using the current Ofsted criteria.


We offer a range of examinations, which are optional. Our teachers can help prepare pupils for these, and for university and conservatoire entry if required.


Lesson costs vary, and are set by individual schools. Typically, a shared lesson of 20 minutes costs around £5.90 per week. Most schools ask that fees be paid termly, in advance – please check with your local school.


You can either buy or loan a musical instrument from the Council.

Financial help

Children who receive free school meals or hold an NHS Tax Credit exemption certificate are eligible for free lessons and instrument hire. This also applies to Looked After Children. Please let the school know that your child is entitled to this – they may require you to provide annual proof of the NHS Tax Credit exemption in the form of the exemption certificate. 

Support for children and young people identified as having Special Educational Needs is considered on a case by case basis. Teachers will notify us if they feel a child needs further support.

By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close