The Government requires that each local authority maintain a Schools Forum to represent its school’s views on matters relating to the total Schools’ Budget. There are national regulations which govern the composition, constitution and procedures of Schools Forums. Although they operate in a mainly consultative and advisory role, Schools Forums also have some decision making powers in relation to the balance between the delegated and centrally retained funds within the Schools’ Budget.
The Government have announced plans to reform the system for school revenue funding from April 2013, and improved Schools Forum arrangements are being put into place to support the decision making process in regard to the implementation of the funding reforms. The legislation relating to Schools Forums has been reviewed in light of this, and the new regulations came into force on 1 October 2012.
As part of the improved arrangements, the membership of the Schools Forum must be broadly proportionate to the pupil population in the maintained and academy sectors as at September 2012. Following elections held in September 2012, the membership of the Schools Forum has now been updated to reflect this requirement.
School & Academy membership
Maintained primary schools
- Ashfield: Louise Regan, Hillocks Primary School
- Bassetlaw: Clare Middleton, St Anne’s C of E Primary School
- Broxtowe: Sally Bates, Wadsworth Fields Primary School - CHAIR
- Gedling: Julian Wilson, Haddon Primary School
- Mansfield: Helen Atkins, Leas Park Junior School
- Newark: Bob Hattersley, Chuter Ede Primary School
- Rushcliffe: Martin Kennard, Greythorn Drive Primary School
Maintained secondary schools
- Phil Blinston, The Minster School
- Dick Vasey, Ashfield School
- Geoff Lloyd, Tuxford Academy
- Craig Weaver, Carlton-le-Willows Academy
- John Tomasevic, Toot Hill School
- Dave Hooker, Meden School – A Torch Academy
- Kathy MacIntyre, Derrymount School
- Ron McCrossen, Bracken Hill School
Pupil Referral Unit
- Rob Lancaster, Head of PRU
- Valerie Holland, Westdale Infant School
- Simon Hunt, Wadsworth Fields Primary
- Cllr Mike Quigley, Retford Oaks Academy
Private, voluntary & independent nursery providers
- Karen O’Connell, Chair – Early Years Consultation Group
- Chris Walton, Member – Early Years Consultation Group
- Church of England Diocese: Claire Meese, Diocesan Director of Education
- Roman Catholic Diocese: Carlo Cuomo, Headteacher, Christ the King, Vice Chair
14-19 Partnership representative
Trade union representatives
- Teacher trade unions: sarah Valentine, NASUWT
- Non-teaching trade unions: Hazel Allister, UNISON
School Funding Reforms
The Schools Forum holds a minimum of four ordinary meetings a year. In addition to this, where there is a genuine business need for a decision or formal view to be expressed by the Forum, extraordinary meetings may also be called.
The details of forthcoming Schools Forum meetings are listed below. Meetings of the Schools Forum are open to members of the public. To ensure that adequate administrative arrangements are made for the meetings, it would be helpful if you could notify the Clerk to the Schools Forum in advance of the meeting concerned if you are planning to attend.