Range of materials
The Reference Library contains a wide range of printed books and other publications about Nottingham and Nottinghamshire.
There is also a small selection of general history books.
All the material is for reference only and so it can only be consulted in the search room. We do not have any copies available for loan.
The main categories of books held include:
- Transcripts of parish registers
- The Thoroton Society Series
- Histories of individual parishes
- Transcripts of monumental inscriptions
- Historical Trade Directories
- Guides to undertaking Family and Local History research
- Lists of members of the peerage and landed gentry
Biographies of individuals and families
- General history books about religion, education, agriculture, industry, social change and historical sources.
There are also a number of publications of Local and Family History Societies including:
- Nottinghamshire Family History Society
- Lenton Times
- Nottingham Civic Society
- Ruddington Local History and Amenity Society
- Hucknall Torkard Times
- Nottinghamshire Historian
- Sneinton Magazine.
Card indexes to the library books and publications are arranged by author, subject and place. Each item is given a classification number and items are arranged on the shelves by this number.
Some titles listed in the indexes carry the prefix RB (Rare Books). These titles are not available on the library shelves but can be requested by speaking to a member of staff at the reception desk. A County Archives Research Network (CARN) Reader's Ticket is required to see these titles. Find out more about how to get a CARN Reader's Ticket.