Posted by Josanne Peet at 03/02/2015 10:46:22
As building work continues in preparation for the re-opening of Nottinghamshire Archives after extension work and with a refurbished and reorganised public searchroom, this photograph, from the Nottingham City Engineers' negatives collection, shows the public reading room in the Central Library in 1954. Note the trip hazards of the bags around the floor - lockers are now provided.
Nottingham Central Library was opened in June 1881 in a building also housing University College and the Natural History Museum. This was extended in 1932. Nottingham City Archives were kept at the Central Library until the merging of the City and County Library services in 1976 when the City Archives and staff were transferred to the Nottinghamshire Archives office on High Pavement, opposite the now Galleries of Justice. The Central Library moved from South Sherwood Street to its present home on Angel Row around the same time.
Nottinghamshire Archives moved to a new purpose built building on Castle Meadow Road in 1992 and opened there in March 1993.
Further information about Nottinghamshire Archives' re-opening in the spring will be published on the News page of our website