Graduate Development Programme
Shape your future and ours – join our Graduate Development Programme
We’re looking for talented, ambitious recent graduates and final year students to join our two year Graduate Development Programme.
To be eligible for the scheme you need to either be:
- currently studying at Nottingham Trent University or the University of Nottingham
- a resident of Nottinghamshire or Nottingham
- a current employee of the County Council
You will also need to have either graduated in the last five years or expect to graduate during summer 2018 with a 2:1 degree or above.
Our programme is designed to shape the next generation of senior local government managers, providing insight and experience in the decisions required to provide over 400 services to more than 800,000 local people.
Your work will help us to deliver the 12 commitments in our four year Council Plan to make Nottinghamshire a great place.
Over the two years, our programme offers hands on experience in a range of challenging functions involving placements of up to six months. Potential placements could include:
- working in adult social care or children’s services on significant change programmes to bring about better outcomes for people
- economic development to support job creation and inward investment to grow the local economy
- time spent within areas such as procurement or democratic services to develop a deeper understanding of how the Council operates.
The programme will be structured around an apprenticeship standard which will enable you to achieve a Level 5 Diploma in Leadership and Management through a combination of placements, relevant learning and development opportunities and ongoing support from, for example, an internal qualified coach.
At the end of the programme, you will be given priority to apply for suitable jobs that maximise your skills and meet the demands and priorities of the County Council.
Pay and benefits
- £24,964 salary (pay award pending)
- generous annual leave plus bank holiday provision
- flexible working arrangements
- employee discounts
- opportunity to join a career-average pension scheme.
We welcome applications from all individuals and treating people fairly is one of our core values.
We are a Stonewall top 100 employer, ranked 22nd in their 2018 Workplace Equality Index.
The Council has staff network groups including:
- the Black and Minority Ethnic Network
- the Disabled Employees Support Network
- the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans (LGBT) Staff Network.
Initial selection will be by application form. The closing date for applications is Wednesday 9 May. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an assessment centre held on Wednesday 20 June with final interviews on either Wednesday 27 June or Friday 29 June.
The Graduate Development Programme will start on Wednesday 26 September.
For any additional information about the Nottinghamshire Graduate Development programme, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Two of our current employees share their experience of being a graduate trainee: