Employing a 13- to 16-year-old
All children between 13- and 16-years-old can work providing they have a valid employment permit.
This permit must be obtained within one week of starting employment and it is the responsibility of the employer to apply for a permit.
Apply for a permit
To apply for a permit contact Janet Meek at:
Nottinghamshire County Council
Home Brewery Building
Sir John Robinson Way
Tel: 0115 8546421
Limitations on working hours
There are limits to the number of hours that children can work and the type of work they can do. The key considerations are the impact on a child's:
- safety, health or development
A child may not work:
- before 7am or after 7pm
- more than four hours without a rest break of at least one hour.
There are other limits depending on the day of the week and whether it is term time or school holidays.
- The maximum a child can work during term time is twelve hours per week.
- The maximum a child can work is two hours
- A child cannot work more than one hour before the start of school.
- Children under 15 can work a maximum of five hours
- Children aged 15 or over can work a maximum of eight hours.
- The maximum a child can work is two hours.
- Children under 15 can work a maximum of 25 hours per week
- Children aged 15 or over can work a maximum of 35 hours per week.