Public Health information
Use of data relating to hospital attendances and recorded births and deaths
All Local Authorities have a duty to improve the health of the population they serve. To help with this, Nottinghamshire County Council uses data and information it receives from a range of sources including hospitals and the health service. In particular, the County Council receives:
- patient information relating to hospital stays and attendances in NHS hospitals in England (“Hospital Episode Statistics”); and
- information relating to recorded births and deaths.
This information helps us to understand more about the nature and causes of disease and ill-health in the area. The information is used to:
- support initiatives aimed at protecting the health of Nottinghamshire’s population;
- support the Health and Wellbeing Board’s duty to carry out a Joint Strategic Needs Assessment; and
- support commissioning of services.
Anonymised statistical data may be shared with Clinical Commissioning Groups and other health service bodies.