Digital Content Standard
We have adopted, and where needed adapted, the LocalGov Digital Content Standard.
Both the Content Standard and Style Guide reflect our Digital Design Philosophy, Digital Design Principles and sit alongside our Content and Site Ethos for nottinghamshire.gov.uk.
We always start with discovering user needs...
Is the information you’re presenting to the public necessary, readable, original, easy-to-find and well-presented?
Then check your content against the Golden Rules:
- 1. Is the content answering a question that our customers are asking?
- 2. Is your content easy-to-read and understandable to a layperson?
- 3. Is the content original?
- 4. Can the content be found using search words that make sense to the customer?
- 5. Do your images add anything to the page?
1. Is the content answering a question that our customers are asking?
Council websites can be cluttered with pages there is no demand for. This wastes officer time spent writing and maintaining them, and customer time spent wading through them to get to what they need.
Irrelevant content makes relevant information harder to find by making it difficult to navigate to and search for.
Could you justify the publication of your page if you were asked?
Who’s going to read it?
Pages should relate to questions or queries asked repeatedly by customers. Your audience should be clear to you as you write. Ask:
- Does your page relate to a specific council service?
- Does it meet the needs of the customer, as well as the council?
- Is the potential audience large enough to justify publishing the information?
- Is the potential audience able or likely to access the information via the internet?
- Is there a statutory requirement to publish this information?
- Why does your audience need to know?
Information gained from a website should enable, equip or inform a customer to take an action. It’s rare to find anyone that will browse council web content for fun! Think laterally about their reasons for visiting your page, and gear your content toward those reasons.