Recently crowned England's Tree of the Year by the Woodland Trust, this ancient oak is located just a ten minute walk from the Visitor Centre. Come and visit one of the world's most famous woods!
The Major Oak is located a 10-15 minute walk through the woods from Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre near the village of Edwinstowe.
There is a surfaced path to the Major Oak and it is signed from the Visitor Centre.
You can visit the Major Oak at any time that the nearby Visitor Centre is open (10.00am - 5pm Summer, 10.30am - 4.30pm Winter).
There is a fence around the famous tree in order to prevent visitors' feet from compressing the ground over the tree's roots. This will help ensure the tree stays healthy for many years to come.
Type of tree
The Major Oak is a Quercus Robur, the English or pendunculate oak.
This forest veteran is a huge oak tree thought to be between 800 and 1,000 years old.
In 2014, the Major Oak was crowned 'England’s Tree of the Year' in a public vote run by the Woodland Trust.
The tree will now represent England alongside the winning entries from Scotland and Wales in the European Tree of the Year
contest, run by the Environmental Partnership Association, which takes place in February 2015.
According to local lore, its hollow trunk was used as a hideout by Robin Hood’s men.
Today, the world famous tree weighs an estimated 23 tonnes, its trunk circumference is 33 feet (10m) and its branches spread to over 92 feet (28m).
About the name
The earliest recorded name for this remarkable oak, dating back to the mid 18th century, was the Cockpen Tree.
The hollow interior is said to have been used to pen cockerels ready to be used in the now illegal sport of cock fighting. Later it was known as the Queen Oak.
In 1790, Major Hayman Rooke, a noted antiquarian from Mansfield Woodhouse, included the tree in his popular book about the ancient oaks of Sherwood. It thus became known as The Major‘s Oak, and later simply The Major Oak.
Because of its national importance, conservation measures to the tree have been carried out continually since 1908.
In Edwardian times, metal chains were used to support its weighty branches, and lead sheet attached to protect the trunk.
In the late seventies, these measures were replaced by large wooden struts, supporting the heaviest branches.
Today, slender steel poles prop the sprawling limbs of this forest giant. Tree surgeons check the oak periodically and carry out remedial work as needed.