Introductory Courses at the Environmental Education Day Centres
Brackenhurst Environmental Education Centre
Located on the Nottingham Trent University site near Southwell. Two classrooms allow two class groups to be accommodated at Brackenhurst - one based at Home Farm, the other by the Horticulture Unit. The animal care unit, equestrian centre, hall and grounds, pond and dumble (stream) can all be visited.
Perlethorpe Environmental Education Centre
Located on the Thoresby Estate, near Ollerton. The old village school is ideally placed to allow two class groups of pupils to explore the village of Perlethorpe, church, woods, river and lake, grounds and other buildings on this private farming estate.
Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre
Teaching will be on offer through the environmental day centres team, with a teacher’s pack available for self-guided visits. Topics include: Medieval Sherwood, habitat studies, shelter building, environmental art and orienteering. For further information or to book a visit to Sherwood, please contact Perlethorpe.
Teachers wishing to bring a group of pupils to the day centres must have attended an introductory pre-visit. All pre-visits (1-2 hours) provide an introduction to the opportunities, curriculum materials, and health and safety management at each site. Support materials will be available during each course and may be purchased on the day. Prices range from 50p to £5. Please bring suitable clothing and footwear.
Pre visit objectives
- to prepare teachers to lead a group of pupils and colleagues on a successful visit to the day centres, so that a visit can enrich the pupils learning and the school’s curriculum.
Contribution to leader competence
- an understanding of organisational and safety issues which affect the visit
- knowledge of the area around the centre and an understanding of its educational potential
- experience a range of outdoor activities pupils can undertake when visiting
- an understanding of programme planning for your visit
- opportunity to examine a range of supporting resource materials for use with pupils.