- Listen carefully and to follow instructions
- Understand time and sequential relationships in stories
- Express themselves creatively in improvisation, role play and other drama activities
- Learn safely in a new environment
- Improve observational skills
- Develop and apply their reading skills in order to become critical readers
- Develop appreciation of the environment
Early Years Foundation Stage links
- A Unique Child: 1.1, 1.3, 1.4
- Positive Relationships: 2.1
- Enabling Environments: 3.3
- Learning and Development: 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4
Centre staff will welcome your group and describe the day’s programme, learning objectives, and the health and safety issues. (10 mins)
½ Day Course Programme
- Classroom: Read The Three the Little Pigs. Setting the scene for following the story through the woods (10 mins)
- Walk out to Church Wood (10 mins)
- Looking for the signs “Pigs at Work” and “Beware of the Wolf” (5 mins)
- Activity: Find Straw house. Act out this section of story with costumes (10 mins)
- Activity: Find Wooden house. Act out this section of story with costumes (10 mins)
- Activity: Find Brick house. Act out final section of story with costumes (10 mins)
- Activity: Billy Goats Gruff: Crossing the bridge without waking up the Troll! (10 mins)
- Walking to “Cinderella’s Palace” (5 mins)
- Activity: Receiving invitations for the Ball with the children’s names written on.
- Looking for Cinderella in the Palace (15 mins)
- Walk to river (5 mins)
- Activity: Act out the Gingerbread Man story with masks (10 mins)
- Walk back the centre (15 mins)
Back at the Centre the group will reflect on their day and consider how well the learning objectives have been met.
Weather Conditions and clothing
Some outdoor clothing and footwear is available at the Centre but please ensure that children are dressed warmly and have suitable waterproof outerwear. Activities will take place in all but the most severe weather conditions. The centre teacher will contact the group leader if conditions are unsafe for the visit to continue.
Three Pigs laminated story book, Gingerbread Man story, masks and props, signs to go in the woods, invitations, first aid kit
Equipment needed from school
A list of the pupils names to be sent before the trip, so invitations can be written
The actual programme may vary depending on the number and needs of pupils, length of visit and weather conditions.
Support provided to the children with reading signs and acting out the scenes in the wood. Pupils given the opportunity to act out a variety of roles dependent on their age and ability.