Problem Solving and Team Building
Most pupils will:
- Work with others to meet a challenge
- Solve problems in unfamiliar environments using a range of equipment
- Take part in outdoor activity challenges
- Learn safely in a new environment
- Use a range of problem solving skills
Some pupils will also have the opportunity to:
- Gain an appreciation of the environment
- Show initiative when working in a group and respond to problems in a well thought-out, planned way
- Identify strengths and weaknesses in the way challenges were approached suggest alternative solutions
½ Day Course Programme
Classes will then separate and sessions A and B will be interchangeable am and pm with session A generally led by the centre teacher.
On arrival a member of OEE Team will welcome your group to the Centre and describe the day’s programme, learning objectives, and the health and safety issues.
Can be led by centre teacher or by visiting teacher.
- Walk to hall and gardens area (5 mins).
- Walk around the team challenges, discuss what is required from each of them and the safety implications (15 mins)
- Explain timings and get into groups (more than 4 works best)(5 mins) Complete all challenges in their groups (50-60 mins)
- Discuss solving techniques and enjoyment
Detailed activity sheets can be found in the Problem Solving and Adventurous Activities at the Environmental Education Day Centres curriculum material. Copies available at the centre.
Back at the Centre the group will reflect on their day and consider how well the learning objectives have been met (5 – 10 mins).
Weather Conditions and clothing
Some outdoor clothing and footwear is available at the Centre but please ensure that children are dressed warmly and have suitable waterproof outerwear. Activities will take place in all but the most severe weather conditions. The centre teacher will contact the group leader if conditions are unsafe for the visit to continue.
First aid kit, all team challenge equipment, whistle
Equipment needed from school
For a successful half day session a teacher/adult is required to work with each team challenge group
The actual programme may vary depending on the number and needs of pupils, length of visit and weather conditions.