- To investigate how plant growth is affected by light levels.
- To identify the different parts of flowers, fruits and seeds (depending on the season).
- That plants have adaptations which suit them to their environment.
- How plants can be identified using keys. That flowering plants reproduce and have many different stages in their life cycle.
- Develop a sense of personal responsibility
- Gain an appreciation of gardening techniques and how we care and nurture seeds and plants
- That leaves of a plant are associated with healthy growth
Centre staff will welcome your group and describe the day’s programme, learning objectives, and the health and safety issues. (10 mins)
½ Day Course Programme
The children will investigate two habitats and compare the how well the plants are growing in each. There will be variety of activities related to exploring plants and their lifecycles including naming the parts and needs of plants in woodland and grassland and identifying some plants/ seeds using keys and investigating seed dispersal methods. Children will make predictions, carry out scientific investigations and draw conclusions regarding factors needed for plant growth using data loggers and soil moisture meters.
Back at the Centre the group will reflect on their day and consider how well the learning objectives have been met.
Weather Conditions and clothing
Some outdoor clothing and footwear is available at the Centre but please ensure that children are dressed warmly and have suitable waterproof outerwear. Activities will take place in all but the most severe weather conditions. The centre teacher will contact the group leader if conditions are unsafe for the visit to continue.
Work sheets, clipboards, pencils and crayons first aid kit. Dataloggers, moisture meters.
Equipment needed from school
Adaptation and Differentiation
The actual programme may vary depending on the number and needs of pupils, length of visit and weather conditions
Additional information will be given to KS2 children regarding the different processes involved with this plants half day session, for example the vocabulary used in life cycle of a plant, germination, pollination etc.