Services we offer
The Community Archaeologists work with local groups to explore their heritage and offer a wide range of services.
Archaeological project advice
Our small team of Community Archaeologists is frequently the first port of call to offer impartial advice and support for groups wishing to set up their own projects. We have many years experience of working with local people on a wide range of archaeological projects.
We can help you:
- come up with ideas
- plan your project
- give advice on funding opportunities and writing applications
- carry out consultation
- advise on how to involve the local community
- assist with research
- provide training and assistance with fieldwork, post-excavation and report writing.
We run an annual archaeological field school where beginners can learn excavation techniques and gain hands-on experience of digging, recording, drawing, site photography and identifying finds.
We are available to give talks free of charge to local groups and societies. We have given lectures and talks to numerous groups including the Council for British Archaeology (East Midlands), the University of the Third Age, Women’s Institute, local archaeology and history societies, museums and libraries.
Talks currently offered include:
- Segelocum Roman Town
- The Archaeology of Rufford Abbey
- Community Archaeology Projects in Nottinghamshire
- Tailored talk on the archaeology of a Nottinghamshire village/town/parish
Please contact us for a full list of talks.
Workshops can be booked for private groups, and also form part of our events listings for the general public. Some examples are:
- Bright sparks - learn about ancient firelighting techniques and have a go at making fire
- Dyes and textiles - history of spinning and dyeing, and cloth manufacture with practical element (not suitable for under 10s due to handling of dyes)
- Prehistoric pots - learn the origin of ceramics and make your own clay bowl.
Guided archaeology walks
For more information on any of the above services, please get in touch:
telephone: 0300 500 80 80