The Nottinghamshire Safeguarding Children Board has a range of sub-groups to carry out work, while other issues may be dealt with through task and finish groups.
Child Death Overview Panel
This group reviews all deaths of children and young people under 18 in order to understand more about why children die so we may prevent the deaths of other children in the future. Once the information has been reviewed the panel may make recommendations to improve services for children and families.
The role of this group is to ensure that the other NSCB subgroups are clearly driving forward the objectives contained within the Board Business Plan.
This group sets the strategic framework for the NSCB Multi-Agency Audit as part of the learning and improvement framework and carries out the following tasks:
- Identifies areas of audit for the forthcoming year, taking into account the NSCB priorities and learning gathered through the learning and improvement framework
- Takes responsibility for implementing the audit programme including: Appointing a lead auditor for each audit, Agreeing the appropriate methodology and ensuring practitioner involvement from relevant agencies
- Quality assures the audit processes and reports
- Facilitates the dissemination of learning
- Identifies and evaluates the impact of audits.
Standing Serious Case Review Panel
The panel considers whether a serious case review, or a smaller scale review of individual cases, should happen following the death or serious injury of a child. In the case of child deaths, this is where abuse or neglect is know or suspected to be a factor.
This sub-group aims to promote a culture of continuous leaning and improvement across all the organisations that work together to safeguard and promote the welfare of children. The group monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of learning and development activities such as: Multi-Agency Training, Serious Case Reviews, Child Death Panels and Multi-Agency Audits. The learning identified from these events is considered when planning future learning and development events and training. Quality Assurance of both single and multi-agency training is also a key role of this group.