Keeping all of the things you might need in an emergency in a 'ready bag' is a great idea. However, we know this is often not realistic but you could keep a list of where to find the items in a hurry. An emergency kit might be kept at home and in the car.
What your kit should contain
Ideally, your ready bag might contain the following:
- Photocopies of important documents (such as passport, insurance certificates, driving licence, pet vaccination certificates)
- A list of current medication (or spares so long as they do not go out of date)
- Household emergency plan with contact details of members of the family you will need to inform, local doctors number etc
- A change of clothes per person or an emergency blanket
- Torch (with spare batteries if not wind up) /candles and matches
- Radio (with spare batteries if not wind up)
- Bottled water (to be changed regularly as noted on best before dates)
- Sanitary items and toiletries
- In date tinned food and tin opener/long life snacks
- First aid kit
- Mobile phone and wind up or battery powered charger.
You may also want to consider including:
- Antibacterial hand wipes/gel
- Checklist of items in the kit
- A basic tool kit.