[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Anti-Social Behaviour

What is Anti-social Behaviour?

The Home Office defines anti-social behaviour as "any intimidating or threatening activity that scares a person or damages their quality of life".

Examples of anti-social behaviour include:

  • rowdy, noisy behaviour
  • 'yobbish' behaviour
  • vandalism, graffiti and fly-posting
  • fly-tipping rubbish
  • aggressive begging
  • street drinking
  • setting off fireworks late at night

What can you do ?

Whether you live in your own home, rent your house from a private landlord or a social housing provider, there are a number of tools and powers, services and support that can be used to help to tackle anti-social behaviour

If you decide to talk to the person responsible for the anti-social behaviour it may help to consider the following:

  • If your neighbour is, for example, playing loud music, have you asked them, at least once, to turn their music down?
  • Stay calm and be as polite as possible at all times.
  • Explain clearly what you feel the problem is and how it is affecting you/your family.
  • Once you have had your say, let them respond.  Try not to interrupt the person when they are speaking.
  • Don’t descend to the level of being abusive or personal, even if they choose to – this just adds to the problem.
  • Leave the situation if it begins to get too heated to make any meaningful or reasonable progress.

Who can help?

Call your local police on 101. In an emergency always call 999.

  • Crimestoppers: If you have any information about any crime, but do not wish to be identified. Tel: 0800 555 111
  • Family Lives Parentline (formerly Parentline Plus) can offer you support and advice regarding parenting over the phone or internet 24hrs a day. Tel: 0808 800 2222
  • Victim Support provide confidential support and information to victims of crime and to witnesses attending local courts.
  • Citizens Advice Bureau helps people resolve their legal, financial and other problems by providing free information and advice.
  • Youth Offending Service. These teams work to prevent young people offending and re-offending by providing ‘targeted interventions’.  They work with partners to target young people behaving anti-socially through intervention and enforcement.  Locallly, this service is provided by Nottinghamshire County Council, under the  umbrella of the Targeted Support and Criminal Justice Service.  This also includes the young persons substance use support service and is delivered alongside other services, which provides support to young people. 

A wide range of positive activities are available for young people to participate in across every district of the county.  Details of these activities and opportunities can be found on the young people's pages of this website.

For further information, see the DirectGov anti-social behaviour page.

Local District or Borough Council

If the Anti-Social Behaviour you are suffering relates to one specific subject, it may be helpful to contact the relevant council department directly.

Contact your local Housing/Environmental Health or Anti-Social Behaviour Officer at your local council.

EmailMe Logo

With emailme you can receive regular updates about council services and events straight into your inbox.

How do you rate this page?

By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close