[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Social care for asylum seekers and refugees

adult social care asylum refugee

The Nottingham and Notts Refugee Forum offers a range of good information and support for asylum seekers and refugees.

Nottingham Arimathea Trust provides housing and support for people who have had their first claim for asylum refused.

Our Community Directory lists a range of groups that may offer support and opportunities to be involved in the local community.

Support from Nottinghamshire County Council

NCC logo

Asylum seekers
We have a duty to provide social care if you are an asylum seekers waiting for a decision about your asylum application if:

  • you have been moved to Nottinghamshire by the United Kingdom Borders Authority

  • an assessment says you need our support.

If your application for refugee status is refused, you become a failed asylum seeker. Any support you are currently given will then stop, as you now have No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF). This term also applies to visa overstayers. However, if you have an assessed community care need which, if not met by us, would be a breach of your rights (under the European Convention on Human Rights), you may be able to get social care services.

If your asylum application is approved you become a refugee you are entitled to welfare benefits and social care support if an assessment says you need it.

More information
For more information about asylum issues in Nottinghamshire, visit the Nottingham and Notts Refugee Forum website.

By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close