[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Tax credits

What are tax credits?

There are two types of tax credits - Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit.

The amount of money you receive depends on your annual income and circumstances.

Child tax credit (CTC)

You can get this benefit if you are on a low income and have children.

You can get CTC whether you are working or on benefits.

Working tax credit (WTC)

You can get this benefit if you are working and on a low income.

You need to be working a minimum number of hours per week. The minimum hours required varies according to your circumstances.

How much are tax credits worth?

The amount of tax credits you get depends on:

  • your income
  • how many children you have living with you
  • if you live with someone as a couple
  • whether you work - and how many hours you work
  • if you pay for childcare
  • if you or any child living with you has a disability

There is a calculator on the gov.uk website that estimates how much you might receive.

How to apply

You can only get an application form by phone/textphone.

  • Phone: 0845 300 3900 / 0345 300 3900
  • Textphone: 0345 300 3909

You will be asked to provide certain information before you will be sent an application form. This is listed on the gov.uk tax credits page.

Changing circumstances

If your circumstances change you need to tell the tax credit office as the money you receive might be affected. Changes might include starting a new job, separating from a partner or having a baby.

  • Phone: 0845 300 3900 or 0345 300 3900
  • Textphone: 0345 300 3909

Renewing your tax credits

You must renew your tax credits claim if you are sent an Annual Declaration form (TC603D or TC603D2) with an Annual Review notice (TC603R).

If you do not renew your claim:

  • your tax credits payments will stop
  • you will be required to pay back any overpayments

You are given 30 days to provide the information requested in the renewal pack. If you don’t provide this information you will probably need to make a new claim.

For more help with your ongoing award please see our tax credit useful tips factsheet [PDF].

Appealing against a Tax Credit Decision

If you are disputing an overpayment see our tax credits overpayments factsheet [PDF].

For other tax credit appeals you should use the appeals form WTC/AP available from the Revenue and Customs website
When you request an appeal the tax credit office are likely to get in touch with you to see if your appeal can be settled without having to attend a tribunal. If it is not possible to settle your appeal, your case will be sent to the Tribunals Service. Our challenging a benefits decision factsheet [PDF] gives more information about going to an appeal tribunal.

Our Benefits sessions page lists local organisations that can offer help with appeals and tribunals.

Our Challenging Decisions page give general information about appealing benefits decisions.

EmailMe Logo

With emailme you can receive regular updates about council services and events straight into your inbox.

How do you rate this page?

By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close