[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Paying for your support

Most people have to contribute something towards their personal budget, although there are some exceptions. This can be a complicated area and if you have any queries about paying for care contact our Adult Care Financial Service.

Do I need to pay towards the cost of care and support?

You will not be asked to pay towards your personal budget if:

  • You are receiving after care services provided under section 117 of the Mental Health Act 1983
  • You have Creuzfeldt Jacob Disease
  • All of your needs are met through funding from the NHS

How much will I have to pay?

This depends on your individual circumstances.

If you have savings or investments over £23,250 you will have to pay the full cost of your personal budget - this is known as a self-funder.

If you have less than £23,250 of savings or investments you may have to pay a contribution towards your personal budget. Some people will not have to pay anything at all. 

We will never ask you to pay more than your personal budget. To work out how much you must pay you will need to complete a financial assessment. 

If you are unsure whether you have more than £23,250 in savings, you can complete a financial ready reckoner to help you work it out. Completion of the ready reckoner will not contribute to a financial assessment and will not be saved.  

What is a financial assessment?

A financial assessment will assess your income and savings, the size of your personal budget and individual circumstances to work out how much you have to pay for care and support. 

If you, a friend or relative are able to fill in a form about your finances then we will send out a financial assessment form for you to complete and return within 2 weeks. 

If you cannot fill in the form yourself, and have no one to help you, we will arrange to visit you to complete the financial assessment - if you need an interpreter or for the paperwork to be in other formats we will arrange this. 

You will need the following information about your finances to complete the form, or ready for your visit:

  • Recent letters about benefits or pensions
  • Bank statements
  • Building society pass books
  • Details of rent or mortgage
  • Details of council tax
  • Details of any private pensions or investments

The information is kept confidential and only people involved in working out how much you should pay will see it.

We will also offer you benefits advice if you are not claiming all the benefits you are entitled to. 

After the financial assessment is complete we will send you a letter telling you how much you will have to pay towards care and support, and also provide a record of the information you have given us showing how we worked out your payment. 

Funding your own support

Some people do not receive any financial support from the County Council and have to pay the full cost of their care themselves. They are known as self-funders. See factsheets:

Living at home - paying towards your Personal Budget [PDF] 

Paying for your own support [PDF]

If you need help yo pay for your support [PDF]

Can I refuse a financial assessment? 

If you decline to have a financial assessment you will be charged the full cost of your personal budget. Nottinghamshire County Council will not contribute towards the cost of your care.  

When do I start paying towards my personal budget?

You will not pay towards your personal budget until we have completed your financial assessment. 

If you are completing the form yourself and do not send it back within three weeks we will charge you the full cost of your personal budget. 

If we have booked a visit to carry out a financial assessment and you cancel it, we will backdate your charges to the date of the original planned visit. 

How do I make my payments?

If the Council organise all or some of your support, you will receive an invoice every four weeks. The different ways to pay are also listed on the back of your invoice - the easiest way to pay is to set up a Direct Debit payment from your bank account.  For more information see our factsheets:

Direct payments factsheet [PDF]

Pre payment debit cards factsheet [PDF]

You should pay the invoices even if you have missed some of your support.

If you are a self-funder we will send you a personal budget statement every three months and this will adjust what we have charged you and you will receive a credit if we have overcharged you.

If you pay a contribution towards your personal budget but not the whole amount, we will work out what you have paid over three months, and if it is more than your support has cost, we send you a personal budget statement and a credit for what we have overcharged. 

If you receive a Direct Payment you will have to pay what we charge you into your Direct Payment bank account. 

Further support and advice

Nottinghamshire Help Yourself - lists a number of organisations that provide benefits and financial advice. 

The Money Advice Service - free and impartial money advice, set up by the government. 

The Society of Later Life Advisers - support in finding trusted accredited financial advisers who understand financial needs in later life.

Short term care - how we work out what you pay factsheet [PDF]

Direct payments factsheet [PDF]

Pre payment debit cards factsheet [PDF]

By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close