[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Paying for your support

Most people have to contribute something towards their personal budget although there are some exceptions. This can be a complicated area and if, after reading this webpage, you have any queries about paying for your care contact our Adult Care Financial Services.

Tel: 0300 500 80 80 Emailenquiries@nottscc.gov.uk

How much will I have to pay?

This depends on your individual circumstances.

If you are on a low income you will pay less than the full amount of your personal budget or in some circumstances nothing at all.

If your savings are above £23,250 you will pay the full cost of your personal budget.

You will not have to pay more than your weekly personal budget no matter how high your income and savings.

We work out the exact amount you need to pay using a financial assessment.

What is a financial assessment?

We look at your income and savings, the size of your personal budget and individual circumstances to work out how much you have to pay.

Do I have to have a financial assessment?

No – but if you choose not to have one you will have to pay the full cost of your service. We will still offer you benefits advice even if you don't have a financial assessment.

What happens at a financial assessment?

Before the assessment

Our Adult Care Financial Services (ACFS) team will arrange to visit you at a convenient time.

They will ask you to have information about your finances ready. This might include:

  •  pension books
  •  building society pass books
  •  bank statements
  •  details of rent/mortgage
  •  council tax.

This information is kept confidential and only people involved in working out your contribution to your personal budget can see it.

We will also check whether you need any support for the assessment:

  •  someone (such as a friend or relative) can be with you to offer support

  •  we can arrange for an interpreter to be there to ensure all the questions and answers are fully understood

  •  we can arrange for any paperwork to be available in other formats if that helps (such as a different language or braille).

During the assessment

Not all your income is taken into account when we work out how much you need to pay. First we work out your assessed income. We then compare this to the set amount. The set amount is fixed by the government and depends on your personal situation.

  •  If your assessed income is below the set amount do not have to pay towards your personal budget. 
  •  If your assessed income is above the set amount you will have to pay something towards your personal budget.

We will also offer you advice and help you to claim all the social security benefits you are entitled to. Even people with savings over £23,250 can qualify for a number of social security benefits.

At the end of the assessment we will give you a record of all the finanicial information we have collected and details of how much you will need to pay towards your personal budget.

Funding your own support

Some people do not receive any financial support from the County Council and have to pay the full cost of their care themselves. They are known as self-funders. Our factsheet Living at home -  a guide to funding your own care gives more information about the support avaialble to self-funders.

Factsheet: Living at home - paying towards your Personal Budget [PDF]

Example calculation

Please note: This is a very basic example. Depending on your situation it can be a much more complicated calculation. If you have any questions about your financial assessment contact Adult Care Financial Services. Tel: 0300 500 80 80 Emailenquiries@nottscc.gov.uk

Mr. Jones is a single person with a disability. His community care assessment shows he will need ten hours of personal care a week. To work out how much he needs to contribute towards his personal budget we need to know how much he has left after comparing his assessed income with his set amount.

Amount £
Retirement Pension
Occupational Pension
Attendance Allowance (low)
Savings of £3,000 (under the £14,250 savings threshold)
Sub total
Deduct housing costs of rent and Council tax after benefits
Total assessed income
Calculating assessed income

Amount £
Pension guarantee credit plus 25 percent
185.43 (single person)
Disability costs
Total set amount
Calculating set amount

Mr. Jones personal budget contribution = assessed income-set amount = 224.70 - 205.43 = £19.27 a week.

What if I can’t pay?

In special circumstances you may not be able to pay towards your personal budget. For example, if you have exceptionally high outgoings or high levels of debt In these cases we may be able to reduce what you pay while your problems are sorted out. The person who did your assessment will be able to advise you of the help available.

Who doesn't have to pay towards their personal budget?

You will not be asked to pay any charges if you:

  •  receive services after being discharged from compulsory psychiatric care
  •  have Creuzfeldt Jacob Disease
  •  are assessed for services under the Independent Living Fund (ILF). (You will pay the ILF contribution instead)
  •  are provided with services which are paid for by NHS. For example when you are treated as a hospital patient and the NHS are paying for your care.

When do I start paying towards my personal budget?

You will not have to pay towards your personal budget until you have had a financial assessment.

If you have previously had a financial assessment and the information is still up to date you will have to pay from the date your personal budget starts.

If there is a delay in carrying out a new financial assessment, for instance you have cancelled a booked visit, you will have to pay from the week following the planned visit.

How do I make my payments?

This depends on whether you have direct payments or we are arranging the care for you.

Direct payments

If you are receiving a direct payment then you will need to pay your contribution into your direct payment bank account. For more information see our direct payments page.

We arrange all or part of your care

There are several ways to pay depending on what is most convenient for you. The most common way is by direct debit. Ask the person who does your financial assessment for more information. The different ways to pay are also listed on the back of your invoice.

Whichever way you choose to have your personal budget you will need to pay your contribution in full regardless of the amount of support you receive. The only exception to this is if your personal budget is suspended or stopped by us (for example you go into hospital).


By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close