[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Assessing your needs

To get long-term personal support from Nottinghamshire County Council you will need to have a community care assessment. This is where we:

  •  talk with you about the support you need in different areas of your life

  •  decide whether you are eligible for long-term social care support.

Contacting us for an assessment

Contact us and tell us about your needs. You can do this yourself or get someone else (such as family, friend or GP) to do this for you. 

Telephone: 0300 500 80 80

Email: enquiries@nottscc.gov.uk

If you are in hospital ask to speak to the hospital social work team.

If someone else is contacting us on your behalf they should:

  •  have your permission
  •  have some basic information about you ready, including what language you speak, if English is not your first language.

If you need any help to contact us our advocacy services might be able to help.

What happens at an assessment?

A social care worker will visit you at home or in hospital.

They will talk to you about your life and the support you need to live as independently as possible. This might include help such as homecare (support with things such as washing and dressing) or getting out and about in the community.

Together you will fill in an assessment form.

Once they have talked to you staff may also ask for your permission to collect information from other people who know you, such as your family, friends, your family doctor or community nurse.

Identity card - All our staff have an identity card with their photo on it. Before they enter your home they should hand the card to you, tell you who they are and explain why they have come. If you are worried ring our Customer Service Centre on 0300 500 80 80 who will tell you whether the person works for us or not. Do not let anyone into your home if you are not sure who they are.


Waiting times

We aim to complete an assessment within 28 days.

Priority to have an assessment is made according to need. In an emergency you can get help without waiting for an assessment, although one will be done as soon as possible afterwards.

We will tell you how long you might have to wait when you first contact us.


How do we decide who is entitled to help?

We use Government guidance that says we have to decide whether your ability to live independently would put you at risk if we do not provide or arrange services to help you. This is called Fair Access to Care Services guidance (FACS).

If there is a risk to your independence we have to decide whether the risk is “critical, substantial, moderate or low”.

  •  You will be entitled to help with any problems that pose a critical or substantial risk to your independence.

  •  If your problems pose a moderate or low risk to your independence you may not be entitled to help from Nottinghamshire County Council.

For more information about the eligibility guidance please see this guidance on eligibility criteria.


What happens if I am entitled to help?

If your assessment says you need support you will be offered a personal budget. This is an amount of money we agree with you will meet your long-term social care needs. Our personal budget page gives you more information about this and the choices you have over receiving your personal budget.


What can I do if I am not entitled to help?

Staff will provide information and advice about other organisations that might be able to help instead. This includes both voluntary organisations and private care agencies if you have to pay for your own support. See our community support page for more information.

Get in touch with us again if your circumstances change.


Will I need to pay for my support?

Most (but not all) people need to contribute towards their support. We may need to do a financial assessment to find out how much, if anything, you need to contribute. Our paying towards your support page explains what this involves.


Support during an assessment

You are welcome to have a friend or relative with you during the assessment.

If you want support to say what you think during the assessment, please tell us beforehand. We will give you information about independent advocacy services that can support you.

If you use British Sign Language, or if English is not your first language, we can arrange for an interpreter.


Keeping your information safe

The information you give will usually only be shared with our own staff and other agencies, for example the NHS, with your permission. This is to make sure you get the help and support you need.

Occasionally information may be shared without your permission. This is usually only done when it is necessary to protect you or someone else from harm.

You have a right to see information recorded about you.

By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close