We can supply three different types of systems depending on your personal circumstances as well as providing information on other systems available.
Download our Assistive Technology factsheet for more information about the systems we supply.
Sensors in your home are linked through your phone line (not a mobile one) to a 24 hour monitoring centre. If the sensors detect a danger to you, they will automatically dial the staff at the monitoring centre who will immediately contact you. They will check on your well-being and take appropriate action such as contacting a friend or neighbour or calling the emergency services.
What sensors are available?
Home safety sensors
- Smoke detector - if you have memory problems and wouldn’t remember what to do if there is a fire
- Flood detector - for bathrooms/kitchens
- Extreme temperature sensor - for both high and low temperatures
- Bogus caller button - if you need help to deal with an unwanted visitor on your doorstep
- Emergency call buttons and pull cords - allow you to send an alert if you need help or reassurance
Fall detector - detects if you go unconscious during the day resulting in a fall
Property exit sensor – alerts if a person with dementia may be at risk from leaving their home at an inappropriate time
Bed absence sensor – sends an alert if you have a fall at night
Night time epilepsy sensor – detects tonic-clonic type seizures during the night
Medication dispenser - a locked dispenser which can be programmed to allow you access to the correct tablets at the correct time
Reminders – can be used by an unpaid carer to set up regular reminders for key events
Who can get Telecare?
To get a Telecare system from us you must be eligible for long-term personal support and your assessment must show you would benefit from Telecare. The person who does your assessment will talk to you about this.
If you live in the City of Nottingham contact Nottingham City Council about what is available from them.
How much does Telecare cost?
The sensors are installed free but there is a small weekly cost to cover ongoing service charges. We work out the exact amount you need to pay using a financial assessment.
Sensors in your home send an alert to a portable pager unit, which a carer can carry with them anywhere in the home.
Who can get these sensors?
You may be able to get the standalone service if:
- you have personal support needs and a carer who is providing regular and substantial care. The range of sensors available is similar to the list shown above for Telecare. The person who does your assessment can talk to you about the standalone service.
- you receive our short-term personal support service (START). You may be offered some small items of assistive technology if these would help you to better manage your independence at home. The small items we offer as part of the START service include:
- automatic medication dispenser or reminder clock - to help you manage your tablets
- night lights - to help prevent falls
- Memominder - if you have memory problems and need reminding to do some tasks, such as locking the front door
- Magiplugs – to help prevent your bath or sink from overflowing if you have memory problems and sometimes forget to turn off taps.
How much does it cost?
The service is free if you are eligible following an assessment.
Just Checking uses a number of movement sensors to monitor which rooms you use, and any times when you leave your home. In effect the system becomes your ‘voice’ and tells both us and your carers how well you are managing at home.
We use this system for to assess how people with dementia are managing daily living activities.
Download our Just Checking factsheet for more information about this system.
Who can get Just Checking?
We may use Just Checking to help with our assessments for either long-term personal support, or short-term personal support. We only use the system for a short period, typically 2 – 4 weeks, to help with our assessment of future support needs.
How much does Just Checking cost?
The service is free during the short assessment period. If you would like to use Just Checking on a long term basis, you can rent a system by contacting Just Checking direct: