Major adaptations can include things such as:
- widening doors
- installing stair lifts or ceiling hoists.
Getting major adaptations done
This depends on where you live:
- You own your own home or rent from a private landlord – you will have to have an assessment by us to see what work is needed.
- You rent from a council or housing association – contact them direct. They may have homes available which have already been adapted and suitable for you. If not they may advise you to contact us to start an assessment.
- If you are a private landlord looking to get adaptations done for a tenant with a disability contact us.
Paying for adaptations
If you are paying a private company to do the work make sure you agree a price beforehand. Our Trading Standards pages can offer advice if you have any disputes.
If you get a major adaptation done through us you will have to have a financial assessment but you may be eligible for funding through a Disabled Facilities Grant [PDF].
Adaptations arranged by us
Responsibility depends on what the adaptation is and when it was done. If you are unsure when a stair lift was fitted contact us.
Ceiling track hoist or Stair lifts (only stair lifts fitted pre-1996)
Contact Prism Medical on 0844 980 2260 and select option 4.
Wet room or Stair lifts fitted after 1996
- Contact the home owner or landlord.
Adaptations that are your responsibility
If you need repairs to an adaptation that is your responsibility you can try: