[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Adapting your home

Adaptations and alterations to your home can help you live safely and independently and make everyday tasks easier.

Small adaptations can help with everyday tasks and activities such as:

  • struggling up and down stairs (for example grab rails, hand rails)
  • getting in and out of your home (for example half steps)
  • turning taps, door handles and locks.

You can get small adaptations done in several ways:

Major adaptations can include things such as:

  • widening doors
  • installing stair lifts or ceiling hoists.

Getting major adaptations done 

This depends on where you live:

  • You own your own home or rent from a private landlord – you will have to have an assessment by us to see what work is needed.
  • You rent from a council or housing association – contact them direct. They may have homes available which have already been adapted and suitable for you. If not they may advise you to contact us to start an assessment.
  • If you are a private landlord looking to get adaptations done for a tenant with a disability contact us.

Paying for adaptations

If you are paying a private company to do the work make sure you agree a price beforehand. Our Trading Standards pages can offer advice if you have any disputes.

If you get a major adaptation done through us you will have to have a financial assessment but you may be eligible for funding through a Disabled Facilities Grant [PDF].


Adaptations arranged by us

Responsibility depends on what the adaptation is and when it was done. If you are unsure when a stair lift was fitted contact us.

Stair lift

Installed pre-1996  

  • Contact Prism Medical on 0844 980 2260 and select option 4. 

Installed after 1996 

  • Contact the home owner or landlord. 

Ceiling track hoist 

  • Contact Prism Medical on 0844 980 2260 and select option 4. 

Wet room 

Installed after 1996

  • Contact the home owner or landlord. 

Adaptations that are your responsibility

If you need repairs to an adaptation that is your responsibility you can try:

Some homes aren't suitable for adaptations and some people still won't be able to manage in their present home even if adaptations have been done. We can advise you about what is involved in moving to a more suitable property. Our somewhere to live section gives more information about housing options.

By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close