[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Adaptations and practical work

Small adaptations and practical work

We can help with small adaptations (such as hand rails and half steps) that can make living at home safer and easier. There is also support available for those practical tasks that you may find harder to do if you are older or disabled. This can include tasks such as changing a light bulb, fitting door locks or putting up shelves but not specialist skills such as gardening or decorating.

Depending on your needs and personal situation small adaptations may be carried out in one of two ways:

Preventing falls

We have advice and information about preventing falls and fractures in older people.

Telephone icon

Contact us about Adaptations and Practical Work

If you think you need adaptations to your home contact us and tell us about your needs.


Major adaptations

Home owners and private tennants

Major adaptations to your home (for example widening doors, installing stair lifts) are usually done through a Disabled Facilities Grant.

To get a grant you must:

  • be disabled or be a landlord with a disabled tenant
  • either own your own home or rent from a private landlord
  • have difficulty managing daily living tasks (for example getting into or around your home, getting to the toilet).

We will visit you at home and discuss what adaptations are neccessary and appropriate for the building. If we agree that adaptations are needed we will recommend to your district or borough council (who administer the scheme) that you receive a grant. They will make a decision based on whether they think the adaptation is reasonable and practicable.

If they agree to give you a grant they will:

  • look at your financial situation to see how much (if anything) you need to pay towards the adaptations
  • organise getting the work done with you.

You can download a leaflet that explains more about the grant and how to apply for it.

Council and housing association tenants

You may be able to get adaptations to your home but it may be funded differently. Contact your district or borough council or housing association for more information.

By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close