Each scheme is different and what is available varies from site to site. However, each scheme will have:
- Housing - a range of modern and affordable one or two bedroom homes available to buy, rent or part own which are purpose-built or adapted for your care and support needs
- Personal care support - staff are available 24 hours a day to offer you support
- Communal areas - these might include a cafe, hairdressers, library, guest accommodation for your visitors, a day centre with organised activities and outings
- Neighbourhood facilities - extra care schemes are based within local communities so the usual range of neighbourhood facilities are close by such as leisure centres, shops, GP surgeries and public transport.
Some extra care sites have dementia units which provide specialist care in a community setting.
People already living in extra care explain what it is like.
- Independence - live your life how you want to live it
- Control - come and go as you please and have full control over your finances
- Choice - rent, buy or part own your home
- Privacy - live in your own home with your own front door
- Support - help always on hand for those everyday tasks you might find difficult
- Flexibility - support tailored to suit you that changes as your needs change
- Stability - you don't have to move if your needs increase
- Sense of community - socialise with other residents
- Security - buzzer entry system and a locked front door.
Staff can offer support with your personal care, including:
- help with washing, dressing and getting to and from the toilet
- reminders to take medication
- preparing snacks and heating up meals
- some domestic tasks.
There are care staff on site 24 hours a day.
Although care staff are on site 24 hours a day, you must be able to manage on your own for parts of the day.
On site staff are not nurses and cannot change dressings or catheters or give medication (unless it is already in a dispenser).
There are three costs with extra care:
- Housing - the cost of renting, buying or shared ownership of your home
- Service charge - home maintenance and communal facilities
- Care and support costs - these vary depending on your needs.
The amount you pay will depend on your individual circumstances. We will do a financial assessment and tell you exactly how much it will cost.
We currently have 7 extra care schemes in Nottinghamshire:
- Moorfield Court in Southwell
- Abbeygrove in Worksop
- Westmorland House in Harworth
- Spring Meadows in Cotgrave
- Cricketers Court in Cotgrave
- Hilton Grange in Edwalton
- Vale View in Newark
Proposed new sites, subject to planning permissions, will be at:
- Mansfield/Ashfield x 2
- Newark and Sherwood
How can I find out more?
Please call the Customer Service Centre on 0300 500 80 80 to speak to someone about Extra Care Housing.