[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Becoming an adult

Contact a transition co-ordinator

If you have a learning disability contact your local Community Learning Disability Team.

If you have a physical disability, visual impairment or are deaf/deafened contact us and ask to speak to the transition co-ordinator based in the Physical Disability/Vulnerable Adults Team in your area.

Telephone: 0300 500 80 80  
Email: enquiries@nottscc.gov.uk

Find out more

Visit the Transition Information Network website for support, information and resources about the transition of young people to adulthood. 

Will I have a transition co-ordinator?

Yes, if you want one and you:

  • are aged 14 or over and usually before you are aged 20
  • have a permanent and substantial disability or visual or hearing impairment
  • live in Nottinghamshire
  • are likely to need social care support from Nottingham County Council.

When will I first meet my transition co-ordinator?

The transition co-ordinator will either be contacted by:

  • Children’s Services or your school. They would usually be invited to your Year 9 school review.
  • you or your parents/carers if a transition co-ordinator was unable to attend your review.

If you have already left school you can contact us direct.

What will the transition co-ordinator do?

The transition co-ordinator will work with:

  • you
  • your family/carers
  • people who have known you in the past like teachers and doctors
  • people with special training and skills, for example, speech and language therapists or occupational therapists

to find out what help and support you may need as you become an adult.

For example:

  • what you want to do when you leave school
  • how and where you want to live
  • what you want to do during the day time
  • how you want to spend your spare time.

If the transition co-ordinator does not think they can help you they will advise you where you can go to get the help you need.

When all of the information has been checked with you, your transition co-ordinator will write down all the information and this will be called an assessment. They will then help you make a plan for how and when all of your support needs will be met.

When will I have an assessment?

The transition co-ordinator will agree with you the best time for you to have an assessment. As your needs will change between the age of 14 and 18 (or when you leave school) you may want to wait until closer to your 18th birthday (or after it) until you have an assessment.

What support can I get?

You can get support for many different things. These could include:

  • practical things to make everyday life easier
  • transport
  • health services
  • self help and independence
  • saying what you want and making sure people understand
  • someone to speak up for you
  • leisure/recreation, holidays, clubs, sports
  • learning more things
  • advice on friendships
  • things to do in the day time including paid work
  • time away from home
  • living in your own home away from your family
  • making sure you get all the money you should be getting.

Find out more about adult social care support.

Will my services change when I become an adult?

Some of the services you currently get may stop. People who have worked with you may only work with children. When you become an adult other people may have to take over the work that they do.

Do I have to pay for services when I'm an adult?

When you become an adult you will need to have an adult assessment. Services are free for children, but adults have to pay toward the cost of some services. For example, short breaks services.

How much you pay will depend on how much money you have coming in. We provide benefits advice to make sure you get all the benefits you are entitled to.

What do I do if I have problems with my transition co-ordinator?

You have the right to:

  • be listened to
  • be given respect
  • know what is happening
  • agree or disagree.

If you are unhappy with what has happened let your transition co-ordinator or their manager know or you can make a formal complaint.

By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close