< Back to: Welfare benefits

Jobseeker's Allowance

You can claim Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) if you are currently unemployed or working under 16 hours per week and are actively able and looking for work. If you are part of a couple you can make a joint claim for JSA.

Who can apply

This benefit is aimed at unemployed and part-time workers. You could qualify for this benefit if you actively looking for work or working less than 16 hours per week, are over 18 but under State Pension age and living in England, Scotland or Wales.

How to apply

To make a new claim

For existing claims call 0345 608 8545.

Further information


Contact the Council

Find and talk with us online or contact us directly by online form, email, telephone, post or in person at one of our offices.

Use our online form Visit us in person Call us on 0300 500 80 80