Extra care housing
Extra care housing allows people to live as independently as possible with the reassurance of support with personal care when needed.
What is extra care housing?
Extra care housing is an extension of traditional supported housing, for people aged 65 and over who want to retain their independence but who would otherwise need long-term residential care.
- high quality accommodation
- access to on-site communal facilities
- care staff on site 24 hours a day, 7 days week.
Some of our extra care schemes include housing specifically designed for people with dementia which provide specialist care in a community setting.
To live in extra care housing you will need to have a care and support assessment and be eligible for care. You must also be assessed as eligible for some financial support towards the cost of care.
What support can I get?
The focus is on supporting independence, promoting reablement and enabling you to remain as active as possible. Care staff can offer support with personal care based on individual need such as:
- help with washing, dressing and getting to and from the toilet
- reminders to take medication
- preparing snacks and heating up meals
- some domestic tasks.
On site staff are not nurses and cannot change dressings or catheters or give medication.
How much does extra care cost?
There are three parts to the cost of living in an extra care scheme:
- cost of housing, payable to the housing provider - the cost of buying, renting or shared ownership of your home
- service charge, payable to the housing provider - for home maintenance and communal facilities
- care and support costs, payable to Nottinghamshire County Council
Care and support costs will vary depending on needs. The amount required to contribute to the cost of care will depend on your individual circumstances. We will do a financial assessment to work out exactly how much you can afford to pay, see our paying for care page for more detail.
How can I find out more?
Please call the customer service centre on 0300 500 80 80 to speak to someone about extra care housing.
Find out more: