We've made some changes to our website. You may find some areas still in development. Read more about this work.

Petroleum licences

You will need a petroleum licence if you store petrol in a tank or bowser for delivery into the fuel tank of a vehicle or other internal combustion engine.


The fee for a licence is renewable annually based on the amount you are storing:

  • Up to 2,500 litres: £42
  • 2,500 - 50,000 litres: £58
  • Over 50,000 litres: £120
  • Transfer of a licence: £8.


Download, print and fill in the petroleum spirit licence form [PDF], then return with a cheque made payable to Nottinghamshire County Council.

We will process your application and will normally send you a licence/registration document and receipt for your payment within three working days. In the event that we are unable to send these within this timescale we will contact you to explain the reason for the delay.

Further information

This information is a brief summary of the law as it relates to the storage of petroleum spirit. It is not an authoritative document on the law and is only intended for guidance.

For more information please contact us.

Share this page?

Contact the Council

Find and talk with us online or contact us directly by online form, email, telephone, post or in person at one of our offices.

Facebook.com/Nottinghamshire Twitter.com/NottsCC Use our online form Visit us in person Call us on 0300 500 80 80