Trading Standards undertake targeted visits and surveys, respond to consumer complaints and advise businesses on a wide range of topics.
They ensure that:
- goods and services are correctly described and priced
- weighing and measuring equipment is accurate
- farmed animals are kept and transported safely and accompanied by the correct paperwork
- goods meet safety standards and come in the correct quantities
- food and animal feeds are checked for composition, labelling, adulteration, chemical contamination and date marking.
Following a visit any serious contraventions are reported. This can result in legal action being taken by the service against the trader/individual.
If you are a consumer, contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service. If you are a trader contact Trading Standards:
tel: 01623 452 005
web: More information about trading standards
Citizens Advice Consumer Service
tel: 08454 04 05 06
web: Find more information on the Citizens Advice Consumer Service website