Low sun, snow, and ice are just some of the extra hazards motorists and pedestrians face during the winter.
Whenever icy weather conditions are forecast the County Council’s gritters salt around one third of the county’s roads. A map of the salting routes is available.
Main roads, bus routes and some school routes are salted to help make it easier for people to get to their destination safely.
You can play your part to keep the county’s roads safer by following our winter driving tips.
Make sure you:
- Slow down and allow extra space to stop – it can take ten times longer to stop in icy conditions than on a dry road
- Use the highest gear possible to avoid wheel spin whilst maintaining appropriate speed
- Manoeuvre gently, avoiding harsh braking and acceleration
- Ease off the accelerator but do not brake suddenly if skidding occurs
- Use car visors and reduce speeds in the event of being dazzled by winter sun.
For more information contact us.
web: More information about winter driving