[Skip to content]

Nottinghamshire County Council - Proud of our past, ambitious for our future

Food hygiene and quality

Making sure that the food you buy and eat is safe and up to standard is vital, whether it’s a pack of cheese from your local corner shop or a meal in a restaurant.  Trading Standards enforces the laws controlling the quality and standards of food including description, advertising and labelling.

If you think the food you have bought from a shop is of poor quality, always complain and ask for a refund.

If you are a consumer, and you are concerned about a food product you have purchased, please contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service:

You can also report your concerns to the individual district council's Environmental Health service for the district where the premises are located.

Find my local district council

If you are a business and you would like more information about the legislation relating to the sale and labelling of food products, please contact Trading Standards.


Citizens Advice Consumer Service
tel:08454 04 05 06
e-mail: Via Citizens Advice Consumer Service website
web: You can find more information about food standards on the

Citizens Advice Adviceguide: www.adviceguide.gov.uk.

Trading Standards
tel 01623 452005
e-mail: trading.standards@nottscc.gov.uk

web: You can find more information about food quality on our factsheets.

Select your district



EmailMe Logo

With emailme you can receive regular updates about council services and events straight into your inbox.

How do you rate this page?

By using this site you are agreeing to our terms and conditions (including using cookies to collect anonymous usage statistics). If you do not agree you may either stop cookies in your browser settings or stop browsing the site. Find out more about how we use cookies.. Close