Plans to bring superfast broadband (up to 24 megabits per second) for 90 percent of Nottinghamshire and improved broadband (2 megabits per second) for the remaining 10 percent by 2015 have been approved by the Government – with work on the ground expected to start as early as 2013. The Local Broadband Plan has successfully gained £4.25 million from the Government, which has been match-funded locally primarily by the County Council but also with a combined contribution of £1 million by all the Nottinghamshire local councils. When the investment from the communications supplier and an anticipated European funding submission is included, this is a £17 million project.
The Plan will improve access to broadband for 116,011 premises, both business and residential with the aim of replacing the existing copper network (designed to carry human voice) with fibre. The Government approval paves the way for the procurement of a communications supplier to put in the necessary infrastructure.
tel: 0115 977 2580
web: Updates on the Plan's progress are available on the dedidcated broadband web pages. We also have a Facebook page.